Friday, August 1, 2008

Thursday Stroll to the Farmers Market


Weekly haul from the local farmers market.

With so many fruits and veggies in season, I had to start bringing the red cart to carry home my weekly farmers market shopping. (And for those who noticed--no, I don't consider Whole Foods to be a farmers market, I was just reusing the bags). While 'in season' is a subjective term in Southern California, I didn't see corn, raspberries, melons (loving the cantaloupe and honeydew hybrid) and peaches in the winter/ early spring. Actually, this Thursday market that I walk to doesn't have much produce at all before May--just flowers. Too bad I never learned to can fruit.

Our favorite now has to be the fresh kale and chard. I just chop it up into small pieces, mix it in with whatever other veggies we have, drizzle some dressing on it and call it a salad. When I went to the market last week, I thought I arrived too late to get the kale. Turns out the local growers are only allotted a certain amount of water (San Diego is officially in a drought), so they can't plant as much as they'd like. Doesn't make sense that people can water their lawns but farmers cannot water their crops.

No comments: