Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Green Home Ec 101


Pasta water cooling and, later, watering the sago palm out on the balcony.

I've read that using the leftover pasta water for your plants is an eco-friendly way to provide hydration, and that the plants like the starch. I don't make pasta very often (gluten-free spaghetti/ fusilli/ macaroni are fine, but I have yet to see gf ravioli or tortellini), and the last time I did make it, I remembered this eco fact after dumping the pasta into the strainer with the water heading quickly for the drain.

This most recent time however, I was prepared. I had the bowl from our rice cooker, which still had a thin film of rice starch, to catch the water after it passed through the strainer (the thought of dirtying another bowl to catch the water seemed to take away any eco benefit to the project). After letting the water sit and cool, I used it to water our herbs and sago palm.

I was feeling very good about the entire deal, until Matt's coworker asked if I had salt in the water. I did, though not very much. He pointed out this actually is very toxic to plants (kills the roots I read later). To undo my good/bad deed, I made sure to water the plants very thoroughly over the next few days. I'm glad to report, that everyone is doing well--the basil even started to flower.

Now there are plenty more suggestions for collecting gray water for plants (putting a bowl in the shower to collect soapy water, using a tub in your sink while washing dishes and then using the remaining water and bits of organic matter, using leftover salad spinner water), but we don't have that many plants that need regular watering. Having to think about such things constantly, is reason enough to only plant succulents.

No comments: