Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Used Does Not Always Make Financial Sense

I've been a bit mind boggled when I come across used and new products on eBay that are the same price or more expensive than one could buy new locally or online at a retailer with a customer friendly return policy. There must be a reason for this, and I've talked with others who are just as confused. Is it consumer ignorance, seller ignorance or getting caught-up in the bidding? It irks me.


REKO glasses

Today I was at the Goodwill store looking for a cheap used flower pot (all I found was another pet peeve of mine--flower pots with no drainage holes), when I saw the ubiquitous IKEA REKO glasses. Since we have some but could use a few more, I was all set to buy them. However, the price was $4.99 for a set of four. While I wasn't sure of the exact price, I did remember buying a dozen of them years ago for fewer than $10. I just checked, and the glasses sell for $1.99 for six. I am slightly tempted to call the store and let them know--but I think I'll just sound/be annoying.

Now there is the argument that buying used is better--the Reuse part of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I completely agree (I was at Goodwill after all), but not at a 300% markup.

No comments: